Monday, September 22, 2008

T.W.E.R.P.S - The Worlds Easiest Role-Playing Game!



I first came across this RPG system in 1995 at Mad Hatters gaming shop in Lubbock, Texas. I was sorting through the "Random" shelf, full of older manuals for lesser-known RPGs. I found the original "Basic" rules, as seen above, as well as the "Cyber-Punks" expansion. The incredibly simple rules (you only have two stats!) and the adorable, doughy charachter designs totally captured my imagination.

As I stated above, you have two stats and can play the game using two 10-sided dice. What adds the meat to your charachters is skills you can add to your character to aid in rolls. In each expansion, new sets of rules are added to the potential arsenal.

The expansion sets are hilariously reminiscent of GURPS. The published expansions include the above-mentioned cyber-punk set (which is also very reminiscent of Shadowgate, including expanded scenarios to include entry into a Neuromancer/Matrix-style computer world during gameplay), a magic expansion, a kung fu expansion, a post-apocalyptic expansion (called "Metaphysical Ninja Maniac Chainsaw Vitamin Junkies"), and expansions imitating the format of Star Trek and the X-Files.

Wikipedia Entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a hungarian boy, and I have wanted to read TWERPS since 1994. In that year I read a short article about it and I became very curious. I cannot order via e-bay and other, so maybe is it possible to scan or take photograph the TWERPS for me and send me to my e-mail address?? I would be very-very happy and I'd translate it to hungarian.
(sgerzson@freestart.hu)

Followers